Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is one of the most important parts of ranking well on Google and other search engines. Effective SEO can help a website attract more traffic and display higher on a web search. While it isn’t the only way that you rank highly, it can be the most difficult for many website owners to get right. There is, however, software that can take a lot of that uncertainty away — Drupal. The Drupal Search Engine Optimization Module plus other features can do a lot of the hard work for you.
What is Search Engine Optimization (SEO)?
Like the vast majority of people all over the world, you have searched for something online. The search engine you use, whether it’s Google, Bing, or any other, will search for results based on what you want to look for. However, with so many possible results, the search engines want to give you the best ones first — this is where SEO comes in.
By far the biggest player in search engines is Google, and they have an algorithm that will look at each website and see how it ranks in relation to other websites. Google’s algorithm is changing all the time, but there are a few main tasks that it performs.
● Crawling. Google’s software will crawl or read your website and determine if there’s anything on there that is relevant to what people are searching for. Keywords are the main way that the algorithm calculates this, so they are hugely important to get right.
● Links. Links on your website need to be trusted and high-quality. Placing links to sites that get little to no traffic will not help you get ranked highly. You need to get links from other trusted sites that get a lot of traffic. If you can achieve this, then Google will determine that your site is a trusted source.
● Mobile Site. More people than ever are browsing the web on their mobile devices. Google is now starting to look at how compatible your website is for mobile use. This also applies to the loading speed of the site as people don’t want to wait for pictures to load or pages to populate.
Where Does Drupal Fit In?
Drupal has a Search Engine Optimization Module that has powerful tools to help you meet the criteria Google needs to rank higher in search results. It means that you can let Drupal optimize a lot of your website without having to worry about whether you’re doing it right or not.
● Pathauto. SEO friendly URLs are a good way to get your content seen. It involves adding keywords to the URL to help them be found in search results. Pathauto is designed to do this for you when you publish a post to your website.
● Meta tag. Meta tags or the meta description and meta keywords, are there to help your content show up in rankings. Meta tags will provide these automatically instead of having to complete them yourself.
● XML Sitemap. Think of your site XML Sitemap as a directory. It helps the algorithm search your site in a logical way. This tool will create and make available an XML Sitemap for your site.
These are only a few of the many tools Drupal uses to enhance your site’s visibility and reputation. It also helps you to concentrate on creating high-quality content without having to worry about backend SEO management.